For Immediate Release:
The San Francisco Latino Democratic Club Starts 2019 with a Bang by Successfully Launching Membership Programming and Electing New Leadership
President of Organization is first DACA recipient to be appointed to the DCCC
SAN FRANCISCO, CA — February 19, 2019 — The San Francisco Latino Democratic Club (SFLDC), an organization that empowers Latinx communities and advocates for equitable policies at all levels of government, starts off the new year with new programming for its members to help build opportunities for leadership development throughout 2019. Also, the Latino Democratic Club was crucial in organizing a strong turnout for AD17 and AD19.
SFLDC’s new president, Sarah Souza is the first Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipient to be appointment to the San Francisco Democratic Central Committee (DCCC) by DCCC Chair, David Campos. She is the first recipient in California to be appointment to the DCCC.
Early January, SFLDC also organized 100 women and labor leaders to support Supervisor Hillary Ronen as president of San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors. Souza was then appointed by Supervisor Ronen to the Eastern Neighborhoods Citizens Advisory Committee.
The following SFLDC’s Executive Board Members were elected and appointed as Assembly Delegates (AD):
- Gabriel Medina and Brigitte Davila, elected to AD19.
- Kevin Ortiz, Francesca Gallardo and Xavier Aubuchon-Mendoza, appointed to AD17, by Chair David Campos.
- Victoria Sanchez De Alba was elected to AD22, San Mateo County.
SFLDC Member Programming:
In January, LDC hosted its first program on the Homeless issue affecting Latinos and other underserved communities.
The February 20th program will be on “Latinas in Leadership,” that include the following speakers:
- Sarah Souza (first DACA recipient to be appointed to the DCCC),
- Brigitte Davila Community College Trustee,
- Gabriela Lopez (newly elected School Board member - the youngest in fact)
- Myrna Melgar, President of the Planning Commission and Claudia Flores - CP staff and liaison to the Latino Community.
- The panel will be moderated by Victoria Sanchez De Alba.
About San Francisco Democratic Club: The goals and objectives of the San Francisco Latino Democratic Club (SFLDC)are to promote and encourage Latino candidates, to empower the Latino community in areas of Immigration and Social Justice Issues such as Economic Development for Latino Jobs and Businesses, for Quality of Life Issues relative to violence prevention, youth and education. In addition, support other candidates that will advocate and promote issues and legislation that further the SFLDC Agenda. To actively motivate Latinos to understand the issues, vote, and get involved through advocacy. For further information, please visit, http://www.sflatinodemocrats.com/home .
Victoria S. De Alba
650-270-7810 / [email protected]